Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Oh, those Crazy Mormons!

As part of the Discovery Channel's 100 Greatest American program, there is a message board over on AOL. And, well, for various reasons, I only have a strong opinion on one of the 100; Joseph Smith. I posted in their blog:

Joseph Smith does not deserve to be in the same ranks as most of the other nominees; he was a charlatin, a polygomist, mysogynistic, and a complete sham. If you, like other faithful LDS members, believe otherwise, I suggest you look into the Kinderhook Plates, the Pearl of Great Price's original papyrus source, the "types" of eyes (spiritual) which which some Book of Mormon "witnesses" say they saw the plates; the ages and marital status of *all* of the woman Smith practiced Polygamy/polyandry with; etc. The man may have started a religion but he is no "greater" than those who started the Lutherans, Protestants, Buddahists, Gnostics, etc.

In my opinion, a fairly reasonable and measured response. I got a few little responses back that didn't bear responding to.

Then, on the message board, I got this message written to me by some guy named "gatorkoonce". (I've changed my name to protect my innocence... :) ) (Hell, this is my blog, I can do whatever the hell I want!)


{Bryan}, Do you stand for anything except trying to be a rabblerouser? I guess it makes you feel good to tell people they are not as smart as you. I'll hand it to you, you sure have a good library of Church History. Did you come up with that all by yourself? Doubtful! Are you so insecure with who you are that you lash out at those who are secure? You have used this messageboard forum as your anti-Mormon bully pulpit. But then again, it is easy to do as you are locked away in the privacy of you home, office, or where-ever. Bullies are the most insecure people on Earth. There must be some underlying issues that cause you to be so extremely prejudiced against anything Mormon. There is nothing you can say to sway most people away from the Church. I recognized your intentions in your first post. It's an old practice to take excerpts out of written history and use them completely out of context and demonize someone. I could do the same thing with any of the most honorable men in the world that has a written history. I would like all people to be members of this Church, but I do not browbeat them into getting baptized. Are the standards this Church teach too high for you. A person with character and integrity does not need to make others feel less important in a quest toward self-aggrandizement. If the character you portray in your posts is the character you portray in other aspects of your life, you are truly an unhappy person. I pity you.

Well, although that's completely Off-Topic for the message board, I responded:

(First rule of Message Boards: Do not feed the trolls.... Well, here I go feeding the troll......)



Gator, let me take your post point by point...


gatorkoonce wrote:
[[{Bryan}, Do you stand for anything except trying to be a rabblerouser?]]

Yes, actually, I stand for the truth. As I've said a couple times, the only thing truth can damage are lies, falsehood, and deceit. (All of which are practiced in varying degrees and various times by the leadership of the Church.)

Further, the truth is much easier to find when you stop assuming you already have it.


[[I'll hand it to you, you sure have a good library of Church History. Did you come up with that all by yourself? Doubtful!]]

You're correct. I didn't "come up with" it all by myself. But that doesn't negate the basic truths behind the statements.


[[Are you so insecure with who you are that you lash out at those who are secure?]]

Actually, Gator, you're dead wrong here. I'm actually quite secure in who I am.


[[You have used this messageboard forum as your anti-Mormon bully pulpit.]]

No more so than those who have used it as their pro-Mormon pulpit.


[[There must be some underlying issues that cause you to be so extremely prejudiced against anything Mormon.]]

Yes, actually, there is an underlying issue. However, it isn't with me. It's with the Church and it's attidude toward itself and it's own members and its own teachings.


[[There is nothing you can say to sway most people away from the Church.]]

The church's own histories do a fine job all by themselves.


[[I recognized your intentions in your first post. It's an old practice to take excerpts out of written history and use them completely out of context and demonize someone.]]

Something tells me you haven't done your own due diligence and looked for yourself. But no matter, the Church likes its members to believe only what it told them during General Conference and forget *all* about the past.


[[I would like all people to be members of this Church, but I do not browbeat them into getting baptized.]]

Yeah, that's for the missionaries and their mission presidents to do. Do you realize there are plenty of stories of deceit and pressuring for numbers out in the mission field?


[[Are the standards this Church teach too high for you.]]

Ya know, it's funny you mention something like that. 'Specially since you started out your post with an admonition to me about making myself feel good. Seems like you've just done the same thing in inferring that I'm "less than worthy" or "less worthy" than you are. (And, frankly, that's an attidude that premeates the entire chruch membership. When was the last time you saw the spirits of those you were doing temple work for in the temple? Never? Oh, you must not be worthy enough.)

But, regardless, the standards the church teaches are fine. It's the church behind the facade that is the problem.


[[A person with character and integrity does not need to make others feel less important in a quest toward self-aggrandizement.]]

First off, I can't make anyone *feel* anything. If someone feels less important after something I said, that's not my fault. Your emotions are your fault.

Again, you earlier implied that I'm not up to the standards that you try to live. And, again, that's exactly what you imply I'm doing with this statement.


[[If the character you portray in your posts is the character you portray in other aspects of your life, you are truly an unhappy person. I pity you.]]

Actually, I'm quite happy. I don't spend three boring hours a week dressed up in a suit and tie listening to the same drivel every Sunday. I don't part with 10% of my income never to see it again and never to have an accounting of where it goes. I don't take part in secret/sacred unchanging ceremonies that change. I don't waste my time in pointless "callings". I don't feel guilty watching an Acadamy-Award winning R-rated movie.

Further, I am happy living my life well. I don't smoke, I don't drink to excess, I help others in need (provided I have the means).

Gator, you might be surprised that someone who isn't a member of the Church can be happy and productive; but I am. And there are others out there just like me who are happy, productive, and joyful. Your church does not have a monopoly on pleasantness.

You might also be surprised to know that, world wide, your church is stastically insignificant. (Less than two-tenths of one person of the world population.) Yeah, that 12 million number the GAs throw around so much sounds impressive, but it isn't.

And, since we've gotten off the topic of the message board, I suggest that any further conversations you wish to have with me go into Email.

I'm anxious to find out what response I get, if any, and if he takes it to Email like he should.

No comments:

Post a Comment