Thursday, December 21, 2006

Free Heat!!!

Ah!!! The comforts of free heat in the winter!

Ok, so it wasn't really "free". The wood stove cost me $35 on Ebay. (Yes, it's fine....) The chimney and assorted pipe and accessories cost me another $450 or so. But! I no longer have to worry about how much propane I'm using to heat the house! Propane bills last winter were about $160 a month! YIKES!

So, if we use the wood stove for three months, it will have about paid for itself in propane savings. Yippee!!!

Next thing I need to work on is getting enough trees growing on my little hill to provide about a cord of wood a year. It'll take a while, but I think it'll work out just fine. Besides, while that's happening, there's plenty of free firewood to be had around here. Just gotta check the newspaper and the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment